Sunday, April 3, 2011

I've Landed In China! (And Am Now Behind the "Great Wall"...)

I'm here! Fight was great - easy. Never had 14.5 hours go by so quickly. One bad James L. Brooks movie and another viewing of Harry Potter 7.

The biggest issue is The Great Wall. China doesn't allow Facebook or blogs. But Skype works, and through my mom's search I've found a workaround. I hope it sticks. There is a ton on the internet about this issue and how they randomly cut acces etc.


So - a few first impressions: lane striping and turn signals are optional (kind of like Boston), but horns are not. They are essential, apparently. Bikes aren't quite as common s I thought they'd be, but they don't seem to care about traffic laws very much.

Today is a holiday - Grave Sweeping Day (think memorial Day), so we'll see what happens. Most of our appointments cancelled for today because of it, but we do have 1 at the Shanghai Children's Hospital. Then the afternoon is ours - and we're hoping things are open. There is an art museum close by.

I'll post some pictures later!

No comments:

Post a Comment